At Belleville Dental Care, we have a long history of providing our patients with a state-of-the-art facility, offering the highest quality dental care available. Dr. Meagan Graul heads up our practice, along with a professional staff of nurses, hygienists and office personnel.
Believe it or not, Dr. Meagan decided in grade school that she would become a dentist! And sure enough, after graduating from high school in 2007, she went on to major in Business and Biology at Elmhurst, followed by her 2012 graduation from SIUE School of Dental Medicine in Alton, IL as a Doctor of Dental Medicine.
Dr. Meagan is a real people person, so she enjoys getting to know her patients and their families. As for being a dentist, it’s her dream come true. So, she enjoys learning about new dental technologies, new procedures, and updated techniques and practices by regularly attending continuing education courses on various dental topics.
Part of taking good care of patients is knowing when to recommend cosmetic dental care that helps patients look younger, healthier and makes them feel better about themselves. At Belleville Dental Care, we can restore winning smiles and help our patients gain back their self-confidence.
There are many dental options to restore smiles, but first we need to understand what your goals are and how your current teeth look, feel and work. Are they discolored? Chipped? Out of alignment? Is your bite causing you difficulties? Is your general health good?
One Step at a Time
It all starts with a thorough and professional dental evaluation to determine the best course of action and which dental options are the most advantageous for your dental issues and budget.
We’ll give you a total dental exam, find out what’s going on. Do you have any cavities that should be dealt with first? How many teeth need to be replaced or restored? Other issues that might have to be corrected before implants are put into place?
We try to give you a choice of options, including dentures, caps, dental bridges, or dental implants so that we are sure you have all the details you need and fully understand all your options, so that you can make an informed decision on our course of action. After all, your smile may be one of your best assets…and we want to keep it that way.
One of the best–and permanent–options are dental implants.
Dental implants can replace a missing or completely damaged tooth. The implants themselves are constructed of titanium metal “roots” that are surgically inserted into the jawbone after the damaged tooth and root are removed. After recovery and time for healing, and once the titanium roots are firmly attached to the jawbone, a replacement ceramic or porcelain crown is fastened to the metal root.
Dental implants are extremely stable, and strong enough to last many years. In fact, dental implants can last up to 50 years with regular brushing, flossing and, of course, dental check-ups every 6 months. And they look, feel, and act just like natural teeth.
Am I a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants may be the perfect solution for replacing your missing teeth, and unlike dentures, they provide a permanent solution for a comfortable, natural, and healthy-looking tooth or set of teeth.
The implant crown is screwed tight onto the titanium root and is custom made with shape and color to look exactly like your own natural teeth. While the titanium root lasts a lifetime, the crown, however, usually lasts about 10 to 15 years before it may need to be replaced due to everyday wear and tear.
Because of the material they are constructed with, dental implants resist decay, discoloration, or staining, and are designed to preserve the adjacent healthy teeth and your jawbone. They help to keep your total oral health in tip top shape as well.
Dental implants are designed to act like natural teeth. They look and feel like your real teeth. But they also need to be treated with the same care.
Daily brushing and flossing are a must. Brushing with a soft toothbrush and a non-abrasive toothpaste is recommended. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are also necessary to keep all your teeth healthy and strong. Basically, you care for your implants the same way that you take care of your natural teeth.
Dental Implant Pros:
- Dental implants can last forever. The titanium roots are durable and can handle lifelong wear and tear. The crowns can easily be replaced after 10 to 15 years. You can replace one tooth or as many teeth as needed.
- Dental implant technology has been developed and improved year after year and is now considered state-of-the-art dental technology. At Belleville Dental Care, we have a success rate that makes this dental implant option the most proven and effective procedure in today’s dental profession.
- Dental implants can substantially improve your appearance. They give you a better smile, help increase your confidence, and they can make it easier to talk, eat, laugh and enjoy life again.
- Unlike dentures, there is no risk that they will fall out or move when you’re eating or talking. Also, unlike dentures, they cannot be removed, so regular cleaning and flossing will keep them maintained just like your normal teeth.
- Dental implants replace the natural roots of your teeth, stimulating important and necessary bone growth in your jawbone and preserving the bone that is still in your mouth.
Dental Implant Cons:
- Dental implants require oral surgery. Although it’s a minor outpatient procedure, some patients are uncomfortable with the idea of oral surgery. As with any other surgeries, an extremely small percentage (2%) of patients may risk infection or nerve damage.
- The porcelain crown will most likely wear out, especially on the bite surface, and may need to be replaced every 10 to 15 years or so.
- If you have gum disease or lack of healthy jawbone, it’s nearly impossible to implant the titanium “roots” on which the crown is installed. While a bone graft is possible, it will add to the expense and time it takes to complete this dental implant procedure. Also, some systemic conditions are contraindications for placement of dental implants.
- Dental implants are the most expensive of cosmetic dental procedures. It is time-consuming, it has a somewhat longer recovery time due to the oral surgery, and it can take several months for the entire implant procedure to be completed over multiple appointments.
Working together hand in hand with our patients in a comfortable, safe, private, and totally professional environment, Dr. Meagan and her staff offer state-of-the-art cosmetic dental options as needed.
We take every alternative procedure into consideration. We make sure our patients are comfortable with their decisions and we work with them to be sure the remedies are within their budget.
If you have missing teeth, if you need replacement teeth, if your teeth are chipped or discolored, or if you just want that winning smile back, dental implants may be the way to go.
If you choose to have dental implants, we are here to provide you with all the information you need and the answers to all your questions so that you can make the right decision, while determining the right budget for your dental procedure.
We want your decision to be right for you. Even as we’ve grown our practice here in Belleville, we continue to hold our dental team to the highest standards. Our #1 goal is Patients always come first.
Belleville Dental Care is located at 3503 N Belt W, Belleville, IL 62226
Give us a call today and discover all your available dental options. (618) 233-3503.